Tinting for Security Protects Your Commercial & Residential Windows
Tinting your commercial and residential windows not only blocks the sun’s harmful rays from entering but has the bonus of protecting people and property when safety and security window films are used.
The nonprofit International Window Film Association (IWFA) warns that windows can be an unseen safety threat to people and pets as the result of breaking glass and the resulting shards that are a cutting hazard due to sharp edges.
“Windows are critical to a building’s design and comfort, and they need to be evaluated to make sure they are both safe and effective,” said Darrell Smith, executive director of the IWFA. “Take the time now to arrange for a professional window film dealer to evaluate and address them as needed to protect occupants.”
Window Areas to Review for Safety
The IWFA recommends that homeowners and building owners review the following areas for safety:
- Windows around doors
- Windows located in bathrooms
- Easily accessible windows
- Windows located in an area where someone could fall through them
- Large areas of glass such as sliding doors and picture windows
Glass shards from accidentally or intentionally broken windows, according to the IWFA, may lead to emergency room visits.
Of the 28 million ER visits in 2017 in the U.S., some 1.8 million were for cuts, according to the Center for Disease Control.
Tinting for Security Protects Home and Business
Tinting for security can protect the most vulnerable parts of your home or business.
Your commercial and residential windows are a source of natural light and wonderful views, but windows can also leave you vulnerable to security and safety threats.
- Protection from Accidental Injury: Like an invisible shield, security films offer protection from broken glass when accidents occur at home or work. When ordinary annealed glass breaks, it poses considerable danger. The shattered pieces become daggers that can cause serious injury or even death. Engineered with powerful adhesives, security films reduce the hazard of broken glass by keeping the pieces together and safely attached to the film.
- Protection from Violent Weather: When Mother Nature loses her temper, devastation and loss can follow. Windows and other glass are always one of the first casualties during a hurricane, tornado, or earthquake. When glass breaks, wind, rain, and flying debris are given full access to your home or office, causing property damage and destruction. Security films can withstand extraordinary wind and force, helping prevent entry of water and other debris.
- Protection from Crime: Windows and doors are the most vulnerable parts of your home or place of business. They are points of entry for criminals and smash-and-grab thieves. Glass is an inviting target for vandals’ intent on mischief or worse. With security films, intruders cannot readily penetrate the glass, even by striking it with a heavy implement. Usually, they become discouraged and quickly depart for some easier target.
- Protection from Explosions: Bombs. Industrial explosions. Terrorist attacks. In an instant, an explosion can fire broken glass fragments at lethal speeds. Research conducted after explosions, points to flying and broken glass as one of the main causes of death or injury. While nothing can completely protect against powerful explosions, security films have proven their effectiveness in these moments of extreme danger.
“Safety/security window films applied to glass are tested to the same break safe standards required of tempered glass, heat-strengthened glass, and laminated glass,” says the IWFA
3M Ultra Prestige Series Offers Best of Both Worlds
The 3M Ultra Prestige Series offer the best of both worlds as it provides safety and security utilizing 42 micro-layers of strong, tear-resistant film with sun control protection.
3M Safety and Security films are designed to not change the appearance of your home or building, allowing up to 70 percent of visible light through the windows, while at the same time holding the glass together in the event of a break-in or severe weather.
Sunset Glass Tinting in Houston offers a variety of tinting for security options including:
- Safety & Security 3M Window Films: Ultra Prestige Series
- Safety & Security 3M Window Films: Ultra Series
- Safety & Security 3M Window Films: Safety Series
- Safety & Security 3M Window Films: Impact Protection Systems
- 3M Anti-Graffiti Glass Protection Film
The Ultra Prestige Series provides protection for your business and home against smash-and-grab thieves, civil unrest and extreme weather events while blocking up to 97 percent of the sun’s infrared rays.
Contact Sunset Glass Tinting today to find out how safety and security tinting can benefit your residential and commercial windows in the Houston and surrounding areas of Texas.
Subscribe to email updates