Protecting Your Home This Summer From the Heat and Extreme Weather
You can argue that windows make a home as they are the transition between indoors and outdoors, adding ventilation, providing natural light into our lives and a view to our surrounding world.
Windows are also our first line of defense against extreme weather and can be vulnerable during stormy weather such as hurricane season, and tested for their efficiency in blistering summer heat.
ClimatePro.com says one option that homeowners have is to install clear window films that “reduce the amount of solar energy passing through a window. This helps reduce the amount of heat transferred into a room through its windows. In some cases, window film can make a room 8 to 10 degrees cooler.”
Clear window films, such as the 3M Sun Control Window Film Prestige Series are not dark but clear, allowing natural light in while stopping the glare on televisions and other devices in the room, all while blocking out harmful sun rays.
“Whether you're concerned about excessive heat and glare, faded furnishings, security or privacy, we have a window film to help you enhance the comfort of your home,” says 3M.
The Heat is On: Warmer Than Normal Summer Forecasted
Much of the United States is expected to see a hotter than typical summer in 2022, particularly in the Rockies, Plains, Midwest, according to an updated outlook from The Weather Company and Atmospheric G2.
“An expansive area from the Great Basin and Rockies to the Plains, Midwest and interior Northeast is forecast to see temperatures that are the most above average from June through August. The most persistently hot conditions, relative to average, might set up in parts of the upper Midwest,” said The Weather Channel.
Forecasters are calling for a third consecutive La Nina weather pattern this fall and winter. Five of the past six summers preceding La Nina winters have seen above average temperatures.
All of this puts pressure on homeowners to keep the inside of their homes cool when the harsh sun is streaming through their windows.
3M Window Films Let in the Light, Block the Heat
3M Window Films offer solutions to allow the natural light in during the summer while controlling the excessive heat coming in.
“While curtains and blinds are great for privacy and help to block some heat, they do so at the cost of natural light. 3M Window Films can reduce up to 78 percent of the sun’s heat coming through your windows, to help make your home bright and comfortable, all day long,” says 3M.
The 3M Window films can:
- Increase the comfort and energy efficiency of your home
- Complement and protect decorative curtains and blinds
- Reject the sun’s heat while preserving your view
How does it works? 3M Window Films let in the light while reflecting much of the sun’s heat away from the home, blocking up to 99 percent of harmful UV rays.
When it comes to heat reduction, 3M offers a couple of options including:
- 3M Sun Control Window Film Prestige Series: Spectrally selective film rejects up to 97 percent of infrared light providing energy savings, enhanced comfort, and protection.
- 3M Sun Control Window Film Prestige Exterior Series: A good selection when interior application is not possible on items such as atriums, skylights, and triple pane glass.
Above-Normal 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Predicted
Heat is not the only summer concern as residents along a large swatch of the United States may have their homes, including their windows, put to the test with an above-normal 2022 Hurricane season predicted.
“NOAA’s outlook for the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season, which extends from June 1 to November 30, predicts a 65 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 25 percent chance of a near-normal season and a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season,” says the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
For the 2022 hurricane season, NOAA is forecasting a likely range of 14 to 21 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 6 to 10 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 3 to 6 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher). NOAA provides these ranges with a 70 percent confidence.
“Early preparation and understanding your risk is key to being hurricane resilient and climate-ready,” said Secretary of Commerce Gina M. Raimondo.
3M Safety & Security Window Films and 3M Impact Protection Attachment Systems can add a layer of protection this storm season.
“There are a lot of things you can’t control – the weather, accidents, and earthquakes to name a few,” says 3M. “Reduce the risk of flying glass. Help guard against property or data losses. Ensure less business disruption. Help protect your employees, your business, and your bottom line by fortifying your glass against natural disasters.”
While the 3M product is not approved in the State of Florida for use as hurricane, windstorm, or impact protection from wind-borne debris from a hurricane or windstorm, it has been tested against simulated wind speeds up to 170 miles per hour.
“When windows break due to high winds, severe storms or accidental impacts, the cost to replace them could pale in comparison to the costs of lost business, physical harm and damaged property,” says 3M. “Protect yourself and your business from the risk of flying glass that could cause injuries and damage with 3M Safety & Security Films and 3M Impact Protection Attachment Systems.”
Contact Sunset Glass Tinting in the greater Houston area to protect your home from the heat and elements this summer.
Subscribe to email updates